Monday 11 November 2013

Many Tricks To Come!

There are many tricks you can do while wake surfing. I have already demonstrated two tricks. Those two trick are for intermediate to expert level wake surfers. In this post, I will give you all the tricks that can be done and I will divide them into beginners, intermediate, and expert.

From personal experience, doing wake surfing tricks are extremely difficult. Performing and perfecting these tricks takes patience, skill and concentration. You may not get the trick perfect the first time, the second or the third time, but that does not mean you quit. You have to push through, tell yourself you can do it and try, try, try again. You should ALWAYS start out with the beginners tricks. Master the basics first. I am still only perfecting the cutbacks. Be very patient, it will come.

When I first tried wake surfing I immediately got up on the board and fell in love. My cousin Bryan Gardiner, who is a semi-pro wake surfer, told me that no one that he's trained has ever gotten up and stayed up longer then 1 minute in his whole training career. The second time I tried, I was up, shifting my weight and mastering the basics. I never felt so free in my life! Having the water underneath me flowing on a board felt like I was floating on air. Once I mastered the basics, my cousin told me to try cutting back. I fell right on my face. It did not hurt physically but it definitely hurt my pride. I didn't even want to get back on the board. However, my cousin forced me to get back up and try again. The second time I tried I fell on my face again. I try to third time, I managed to do a cutback. I guess third time really was the charm.

"Beginners

Pumping - turning up and down the face of the wake to gain speed
Stalling - applying pressure to your back foot to slow down or "stall"
Floater - when a rider and board "floats" on top of the wake
Cut backs - Bashing off the lip of the wake with the board - the more extreme and risky the better
Paddle back in - Going to the extreme rear of the wake, throwing down on the board and paddling back in to the power zone. This can also be done be pulling the outside rail of the board to bring it back to the power zone 
Posing - doing hand and body positions while riding for cool style points

Intermediate

Lip Slide - just like a floater but the board is sideways
Spray - gouging into the face of the wake to create the water under you to explode and spray
Fire Hydrant - placing one hand on the board and taking your front foot off
Hang 5 - Rider extends front foot (toes) over front of the board
Rail Grabs - grabbing the board's rail while the board is on the wake - one or both hands
Switch stance - riding with the opposite foot forward
180 spin - spinning 180 on the wake - board and rider spin
Airs - launching off the lip with the board into the air and landing back on the wake

Experts

One hand grab air - grabbing one rail of the board while the board is airborne above the wake
Double grab air - Grabbing both rails of the board while the board is airborne above the wake
Hang 10 - rider extends both feet (toes) over the end of the board
360 spin - Spinnig 360 on the face of the wake
540 spin - rider spins continuously 1 and 1/2 times until he is riding switch stance forward
720 spin - rider spins continuously 2 complete 360's
Alley oop air 180 - doing an air while spinning 180 in the air and landing in the wake with a switch stance
180 shuv-it - spinning just the board 180 under your feet and landing with the board backwards
900 spin - rider spins 2 and 1/2 times until he is riding switch stance forward.
360 shuv-it - same as a 180 but you spin the board a full 360 under your feet
Big Spin - same as a 360 shuv-it only the rider spins a 180 at the same time the board does a 360"

source: http://www.howtowakesurf.com


2 comments:

  1. Cool sounds like fun! Wakeboarding sounds like something I'd want to try one day, but the only problem is I can't really swim... Once I fix that problem I'll be sure to give it a try. A lot of these tricks sound very similar to skateboarding tricks that I've heard of so they must be very alike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, when I look at the awesome pictures you posted, it just makes me want to fly to California and hop on a board! LOL. However, I am very inexperienced, and I've never even been wake-surfing. I don't think I could do any of those tricks even if I was a beginner because I'm very uncoordinated.. The closest I've ever been is probably tubbing at my cottage on Lake Erie. But wake-boarding is definitely on my list of things to do and I'll take into consideration these tricks! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete